Among all eCommerce platforms and CMS’s available in the market, Magento is used by nearly 200 000 online retailers, it provides better control of look, content, and functionality due to its robust technology and ease of use. Magento is also one of the best solutions for multi-store and multi-currency functionality.
At kgntechnologies we have been developing eCommerce websites for last 9 years and have a good experience of working with a wide range of Magento plugins
In this blog, you will learn how to create a multi-language store with multi-currency in Magento2
The benefits of a multilingual online store:
- You can attract international potential customers to your site and increase your customer base.
- You can increase your sales and repeat customers
- You achieve more customers' satisfaction as they feel more comfortable using their language.
- You get testimonials from your happy customers
Magento eCommerce platform allows you to choose from many languages. It also provides customers with a facility to change the language by a simple drop-down list.
Today most people prefer to shop online in their local currency as it is cheaper and convenient, it also gives a customer more confidence to buy from a website.
Having a multi-currency payment option on the website makes it easier to buy even by a cash on delivery option
Generally, international consumers have to pay in USD or Euros as a result, customers may be discouraged from making a purchase.
The benefits of multi-currency payment options are:
- Avoiding extra charges like currency conversion and taxes
- Payments via net banking and cash
- Reduced cart abandonment and more sales
- Less back-office work in case of refunds or cancellation
Now let’s discuss how you can enable create a multi-language website in Magento 2.
In Magento2, a website is a collection of stores, which themselves are collections of views of a store. This architect provides flexibility when setting up multiple language website for an online business
Stores are collections of views and can be set up in a variety of ways depending on the preference and theme chose. Their main function is to categorize the website; by providing a container for it. Store views can be set up in different languages with the same structure that is created only once but a has different content automatically set up as per the language chosen
A website in Magento2 can be made up of one or many stores that share the same information, like customer details and order details
Steps to set up a website in multiple languages:
Step 1: Installing Magento language packages
For the better technical description, you can follow the magneto docs’ link which has pretty much-covered everything and is easy to follow
Step 2: Create a new store view
- In your Admin Panel, navigate through System > Configuration. On the top-left, you can find a box to view and manage the store. Click on the “manage stores option”.
- In the manage store section, click on the button “create store view”
- In New Store View section, input parameters like store, name, code, status as shown in the image below
- Now click on “Save Store View” button
Step 3: Set up locale options for the store view
- Navigate through System > Configuration > In view and manage the Store view select the language for which you want to set up the locale
- You will need to uncheck the checkbox after the Locale field and then set it to the one you want to assign to view
- Please make sure to select the correct language if there are more than one option for the same language available
- Fill in the details as shown in the figure below and then click on Save Configuration
Step 4: Configure language for CMS pages and Static blocks
To translate any pages or static blocks into different languages, follow steps as given below:
- In your Admin Panel, navigate through CMS >> Pages or Static Blocks.
- Select the page or static blocks that you wish to translate e.g. “About Us”.
- In the Page Information, select your desired Store View as below.
- Click the Save Page button.
Steps to set up multiple currencies on a website:
Below are the steps to set up multiple currencies
Step 1: To set up multiple currencies
- Go to System >> Configuration
- Make sure to select “Default Config” for the Current Configuration Scope
- Click on currency setup
- Select your default currency for eg: USD
- Select the currencies options you want to show e.g: USD, INR, Euro and save
Step 2: Set up currency exchange rates
- On the left panel, in general, go to the currency setup.
- Then go to scheduled import settings and enable the auto-update currency rates
- Select the service which you want to use for updating currency rates
- Save the settings
- You can also save currency symbol after updating live currency rate service
For more information on currency configuration and updating live currency rates please visit Magento docs page by clicking on the link below: https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/stores/currency.html
I hope the above article helps you set Multiple Languages & Currencies for eCommerce store if you would like to develop a new eCommerce store on the latest Magento 2, please contact us